Thursday, July 9, 2009

Refrigerator Pickles

courtesy my friend Cathy

Ice Box Pickles

(The quantities in this recipe fills about a quart sized container....but this recipe would be easy to double or triple or more!)
large cucumbers, sliced thinly
medium red onions, micro sliced
(hard to say how many...basically as many as it takes to layer and fill up the container you are wanting to fill)
1 rounded tsp. minced garlic
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs Pickling spices
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp celery seeds
1/2 tsp ground mustard

1. Place cucumber, onion and garlic in a container of your choice...I used a plastic container with a screw top.
2. In a saucepan combine remaining ingredients. Heat and stir just until sugar is dissolved. Pour over cucumber mix.
3. Cover and chill at least 24 hours. Stir or flip occasionally to evenly distribute liquid. Store in frig for up to 1 month
**I've also heard longer....I guess it's up to you!
**I've also read in other recipes that the brine lasts for a while and if the supply of pickles gets low, just add more thinly sliced cucumbers!

No comments:

Post a Comment