From Disney's Family Fun Magazine, April 2010
Ingredients:
4 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
1 cup butter milk
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter melted (I only had salted and thought they turned out fine...but unsalted might make them turn out even better!)
whipped cream and fruit, optional
1. With an electric mixer beat the eggs until they're light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add the sugar, molasses and butter milk and mix until blended, about 1 minute more.
2. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, spices, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir until smooth. Stir in the butter.
3. Cover and refrigerate the batter overnight or cook immediately in a waffle iron (I used a belgian waffle iron we were given as a wedding present) until golden brown. With our waffle iron I found that a heaping 1/2 cupful of batter was enough for both waffles in a batch. I sprayed the waffle iron in between each batch with PAM. Cooking 2-4 minutes was sufficient.
Serve with whipped cream and fruit if you like. (I served with warm syrup too because some of the waffles were a bit dry without syrup) Makes 14 waffles.
Not the healthiest breakfast, but we ate it as a special pre-Easter breakfast along with a big fruit salad....2 waffles were PLENTY for each adult. Once in a while its ok to eat a less than healthy breakfast....at least I chose to sub the bacon with fruit! :)
I filed this under well stocked pantry because the only ingredients that I would normally not have in my pantry were molasses (which I just happened to have this time) and buttermilk (which could be substituted with milk and a splash of lemon juice, just check your favorite cookbook for acceptable baking substitutions)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment