This is 2 versions of basically the same recipe....I've tried the version already from my sister's blog...I have yet to try to version from my friend's suggestion. Here is the link to Amy's Blog:
"Making Refried Beans" I added 1 onion quartered and a few cloves of garlic, I also realized that I only used 1 pound of beans instead of her suggested 2 pounds, but I used the same amount of seasoning and it was yummy!.... I used beef bullion the first time and chicken broth the second time I made it, I thought both were tasty....Also, be sure that if you use her suggestion to put a dollop of yogurt or a splash of lemon juice in with the beans you dont put too much...at first I did and the beans started looking wierd, so I poured out most of the water and started over again. My sensitive stomach didnt have any trouble with this bean recipe. The first night we tried it with chips (should have made a salad or something else to go with it...) The Second night we spread the dip on tortillas with some cheese...broiled them like my friend Rachel suggests below.....and then topped with lettuce and tomatoes....that was pretty tasty too...my only criticism of this meal is that you have to start thinking about it almsot a full day ahead of time due to the soaking and slow cooker....so think ahead and figure out when you want to eat it, then count backwards! I blended up about 1/2 of the beans into dip and that made enough for 4 servings (Jack wasnt a fan so he didnt eat much) plus enough for lunch for Josh one day too. I froze the other 1/2 of the cooked beans and hope to pull them out sometime when I need a "quick" meal.
Here is the other (non-slow cooker) version from my friend Rachel via Facebook. I want to try this one sometime too:
"We love bean tostadas. I soak 3 cups of dried pinto beans in 9 cups of water overnight and then add 1 medium onion, cut into fourths, and 1 head of garlic, peeled. I simer it until the beans are nice and soft and then puree it in the blender (along with the onion and garlic). If you don't care about fat you could fry them and make them "real" refried beans.
Once the beans are cooked, i spread them on tortillas and top them with taco seasoning, cheese, red and green pepper and tomato and broil in the oven until the cheese melts. Roll them up and enjoy.
This makes ALOT of refried beans, so I freeze the leftovers to thaw when we have it again later. This is a SUPER cheap meal if you use the dried beans, but even if you buy canned refried beans it's still not too bad."
(I listed this meal under vegetarian because there is no expensive meat to purchase or prepare...but actually the beans are simmered in the crock pot in a beef or chicken stock/broth)
Saturday, April 3, 2010
Easy Bean Dip/Spread
Labels:
appetizer,
beans,
budget friendly,
dip,
favorite,
Mexican,
slow cooker,
vegetarian,
well stocked pantry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment