Wednesday, March 17, 2010

black bean chili

tweaked from Healthy meals for less
INGREDIENTS
1/2 pount cooked extra lean ground beef
2/3 cup dry black beans soaked overnight and drained
8 ounce can tomato sauce
15 ounce can diced tomatoes (if mild flavor is desired, or 2 cups salsa if spicy flavor is desired)
3-5 coved garlis crushed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder (or closer to 1 tbsp if spicier chili is desired)
1/2 onion diced
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 tsp lime juice (I just used 1/2 a lime)
3 T chopped cilantro (I used an entire bunch, we LOVE cilantro)

1. Combine all of the ingredients in the slowcooker.
2. Stir, cover and cook on high for 2 hours then on low for 8 hours.

According to the author any type of dried bean can be used, such as pinto beans. She also suggests servign with corn bread so that together they make a "complete protein"
*The first time I made this I (mostly) followed the recipe as the author wrote it....we felt it was a bit bland, but still tasty....so next time I will make one or more of the "spicy" changes to give it a bit more heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment