Monday, October 3, 2011

sausage, potato and kale soup

from olive garden via pioneer woman
soup

update: so I made this the other day, and it turned out awesome, but I have to admit that it was a hodge podge of 2 recipes for the same soup...but the two recipes were surprisingly different. I hodge-podged them because I didnt fully have the ingredients for either of them....here is what I did:

ingredients:
1 bunch kale, cleaned and torn into bite size pieces
10 med yellow skinned potatoes thinly sliced
1 whole onion chopped
1 pound mild italian sausage
1 tsp red pepper flakes (or more if you like spicy...this was just right to me!)
3 cloves garlic
5 cups chicken broth
2 c water
1.5 c milk
1.5 c heavy cream
oregano
black pepper

(I also had to make this meal in stages, because of the timing of the day, and I will type the directions as such)
1. Meanwhile in a medium pot boil sliced potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. saute italian sausage, crushed red pepper and onion in a large pot. drain excess fat. stir un oregano, chicken broth, garlic, water and milk. Simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes and heavy cream, then stir in kale. Simmer and additional 20+ minutes until kale is tender. serve with freshly shredded parmesan.


No comments:

Post a Comment