from my friend stephanie s
for the past year or so I have been making homemade sourdough bread using this recipe...and it's good, and tasty, and EASY, but it takes a LOT of planning ahead of time...like almost a week sometimes....at least a day and a half...and after a few batches the starter starts to lose its effectiveness....so I was excited to hear about a recipe that only takes 1 day (or less)
Ingredients:
starter:
1 c bread flour
2T dry instant potato flakes
2T sugar
1 env dry yeast
1 c warm water
bread:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 c oil
1/2 T salt
1 1/2 c warm water
6 cups bread flour
directions:
mix all starter ingred together in a large bowl and set in a warm draft free place for 1 hour.
add bread ingred to starter (after the hour is up) and mix until a dough forms. place on a floured surface and knead 5-10 times until completely mixed. place in an oiled bowl and let rise for 5-6 hours (dough will reach top of bowl)
divide dough into 3 equal parts and knead 5-10 times. place each part into a laof pan and let rise 1-2 hour (until dough fills the pan)
bake at 325 for 30-35 min. (top will be golden brown and hard to the touch)
for whole wheat bread, replace 1 c of bread flour with whole wheat flour (I've found a WHITE whole wheat which isnt as heavy and regular whole wheat.
I've also found that a good place to let the bread rise is inside the oven (turned OFF) with the light turned out....the light bulb creates just enough heat and the closed oven door holds the heat in to help it rise. also try hard to divide the dough as evenly as possible, and in each pan as stretched out and even as possible...I've had some VERY funky shaped loaves!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment