I've researched several recipes for homemade yogurt, experimented a tiny bit, and developed a recipe that I like:
you will need
1 crockpot (mine are around 2 1/2-3 quart)
1/2 gallon milk
1/2 cup yogurt with active cultures
1/4 cup powdered milk (to aid in thickening)
pour milk and powdered milk into crockpot and turn it on low. Set timer for 2 1/2 hours.
When the timer beeps, unplug the crockpot, set timer for 3 hours.
when the timer beeps, scoop approx. 2 cups of the warm milk into a large bowl and mix in 1/2 cup yogurt. I use a wisk to make sure it is mixed well. Then return the milk mixture to crockpot. At this point the recipes suggested wrapping the crockpot in a towel to insulate....I've had awesome luck putting the crockpot in my oven with JUST the light on. Set the timer for 8 hours. When the timer beeps (usually around bedtime around here) I put the crockpot into the fridge to chill. The yogurt is still a bit thin, perfect to use in smoothies, but We like our yogurt pretty thick so the next morning I start straining the yogurt using a colander lined with 2 paper towels. I usually let it strain until dinner time or so. We love this thick yogurt mixed with homemade granola with a healthy squirt of honey.
yields alittle more than 1 quart yogurt, a little less than 1 quart whey
Helpful hints:
*in order for the yogurt to be done by bedtime (10pm around here) it needs to be started by 8:30 am. However, this means that I can't use my oven in the evening which can be an inconvenience.
*In order for the yogurt to be ready to "culture" overnight, it has to be started by 4:30pm, then put into the lighted but cool oven at 10 pm and taken out to be chilled around 6am (it can be left in a little longer, it will just be more tangy!)
*obviously, you have to plan ahead and know that you wont be using your oven for dinner if you use it to insulate, so if the oven will be occupied, you can use beach towel insulation method, but when I did that, the yogurt was much looser, and when strained it yielded much less yogurt and much more whey. I think the warmer it is insulated, the more actual yogurt is able to culture.
*there are many websites suggesting what to do with whey (just google it)....I've been diluting it and using it in my garden on acid loving veggies like potatoes and radishes., I've also heard it is awesome to put on blueberries...I'm also trying to get my mom to use it on her hydrangeas for more brilliant color. It is also said it can be used in baking and to wash face and hair too!
*Yogurtcan also be used very nicely as a substitute for sour cream...as long as it isnt cooked....I've tried it as a sub for sour cream in a cheesecake and in beef stroganoff with less than stellar results...but as a sub in dips, or as a condiment, YUM!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment