Wednesday, November 23, 2011

hummus

I have been looking for a while for a recipe for hummus that DOESNT call for tahini....since for some reason I cant find it ANYWHERE in my small town....other people have tried to tell me where to find it, and I STILL cant find it! grrr!
Turns out I had this recipe hanging out in my kitchen all along:

2 15 ounce cans garbanzo beans (or 1/2 pound cooked beans)
3 cloves garlic pressed
2T lemon juice (or red wine vinegar)
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt

after draining the liquid from the beans, pour into a food processor and blend for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.

I'll confess, I was feeling cocky and didnt measure anything...I totally added extra garlic, eyeballed the lemon juice/vinegar. I probably added quite a bit more than it called for because my beans must have been dried out or something, but they werent blending very well. I probably shouldnt have eyeballed the cumin, because it ended up a bit spicy...my husband and I liked it, my little guys didnt. I also added roasted red peppers from a jar which made it delicious, and I also added some of the liquid from the jar too. it made a TON and it was delicious. Thinking back, I wish I had added some nice evoo to loosed it up too, just to add some more authentic flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment